Didier Deschamps has officially resigned as coach of Marseille.
The 43-year-old coach, who joined Marseille in 2009, has been the target for constant speculation about his future for the past few months.
A statement on www.om.net said: Olympique de Marseille and Didier Deschamps have finally decided by mutual agreement not to continue working for the 2012-2013 season.
Olympique de Marseille would like to thank Didier Deschamps for his work with the team over the past three years, and wish him good luck for the future.
Deschamps also commented on his departure, saying: I would like to thank Olympique de Marseille for their support throughout these last three seasons.
The World Cup-winning midfielder has been linked with the France national team…
Acting FIFA president Issa Hayatou has stated he will not contest the presidency on a permanent basis, insisting he will replace the suspended Sepp Blatter as an interim measure only.
Hayatou as the longest-serving vice-president on FIFA s Executive Committee is to serve as interim president following Blatter s 90-day suspension.
FIFA announced on Thursday that Blatter, alongside presidential candidate Michel Platini and general secretary Jerome Valcke, had been suspended following approval by the governing body s adjudicatory chamber of a recommendation made by the organisation s ethics committee.
It follows allegations that Blatter signed an unfavourable contract with the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) in 2005, one that experts claim handed over World Cup tele…
Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed Jonjo Shelvey will sit out Saturday s Premier League game at Liverpool.
The former Reds midfielder misses his return to Anfield with a knee injury, with Benitez waiting on scan results to see the severity of the problem.
Shelvey has played 21 Premier League games this season and his absence will be a blow for Newcastle, who are two points above the relegation zone.
Islam Slimani, yet to make his Newcastle debut after joining from Leicester City on loan in January, is also a doubt.
Jonjo Shelvey has a knock to his knee and he will not be available, Benitez told reporters on Friday.
We are waiting on the results of the scans. We don’t know how serious it is. He wants to train and play but we have t…
The Mirror understands that Juventus have met with representatives of Manchester United forward Anthony Martial as they look to secure his services this summer.
The France international’s future has been the subject of much speculation, not least since they signed Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal in January.
Martial’s current contract runs until the summer of 2019 with the option of a further year, so it would take a fee greater than what the Red Devils paid to Monaco for him in the summer of 2015.
Since arriving in England the twenty-two year old has played one hundred and twenty-nine times while he has scored thirty-six goals.
He helped the side clinch the FA Cup in his first season while he added the League Cup and Europa League to his roll of hono…
Barcelona have confirmed they will play Napoli in the first LaLiga Serie A Cup during pre-season this year.
LaLiga champions Barca will take on the Partonepei in a two-legged clash in the United States.
The first game will be played at Miami s Hard Rock Stadium on August 7, with the second clash held at the Michigan Stadium three days later.
Visiting the United States and being able to get closer to our fans is always a great thing for Barca, said club president Josep Maria Bartomeu.
On top of that, we will also have the chance to play at two iconic stadiums: at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, where in 2017 we played the LaLiga Clasico, and at Michigan Stadium, the largest in the United States.
While there, we hope to put on a show and entertai…
Christian Benteke and James Tomkins have signed new deals with Crystal Palace, the Premier League club have announced.
Belgium striker Benteke has scored just one top-flight goal since the start of last season and was due to be out of contract next June.
The 28-year-old has agreed to stay on for a further 12 months, however, while centre-back Tomkins has extended his deal through to the end of 2021-22.
Tomkins has played 87 times for the south London side since joining in 2016, but he has not featured since injuring his groin in April.
James Tomkins and Christian Benteke have both signed contract extensions with the club!
— Crystal Palace F.C. (@CPFC)
Palace confirmed the new deals on their official website on Thursday and chairman Ste…
Phil Foden felt pressure to perform on his first World Cup start before experiencing one of the best feelings during England s 3-0 victory over Wales.
The Manchester City midfielder was included in the starting XI by Gareth Southgate, who was widely scrutinised for not introducing the 22-year-old as a substitute in the goalless draw with the United States.
Foden did not disappoint and drew the free-kick from which Marcus Rashford broke the deadlock, before doubling the Three Lions lead by arriving at the far post to tuck away Harry Kane s inviting cross.
It is hard not to hear what everyone is saying, he told England s official YouTube channel. But at the same time, I try not to read too much and just try to be me and be humble and work hard.
I felt a l…
Chelsea head coach Thomas Tuchel believes Jorginho is the player most deserving of this year s Ballon d Or, but does not believe the award should be seen as hugely important.
The 29-year-old won the Champions League with the Blues and Euro 2020 with Italy last season and was handed the UEFA Men s Player of the Year prize as a result.
Midfielder Jorginho is now in contention for another individual gong after being named on the Ballon d Or s 30-man shortlist alongside the likes of Lionel Messi and Robert Lewandowski.
Jorginho really deserves to win the Ballon d Or, Tuchel said while attending the Gazzetta festival.
These individual prizes, however, are not of great value on the football field, it is impossible to make a real comparison.
Obvio…
Napoli defender Hugo Campagnaro has all but confirmed reports linking him with a summer switch to Inter.
The experienced defender has less than five months left on his deal at San Paolo and has already informed club chiefs that he would be leaving at the end of the season.
Campagnaro, 32, has been repeatedly linked with a move to Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, and he has now virtually admitted to agreeing terms with the Neroazzurri.
“Inter? As long as I am here, I will always give my all, regardless of circumstances. I’ll still give 100 per cent, that is a guarantee,” the Argentina told Sky Sport Italia.
Campagnaro scored a beautiful goal to help Napoli bring one point from Stadio Olimpico last night, showing the Azzurri fans what they will be missing nex…
Catalan newspaper that Everton and West Ham are showing interest in Barcelona hotshot Jonathan dos Santos.
The 22-year-old is widely regarded as one of the hottest prospects to have come through La Masia in recent years, but he has, nevertheless, struggled for playing time over the last few years.
Despite being introduced to the first team set up during the 2009/2010 season, the Mexican has only made a total of 9 La Liga appearances for the club, and is now pondering his future.
Shortly after he confessed that he was keen on a move to English Premier League, Everton and West Ham have made their moves and the two sides are ready to offer the player an escape route from Camp Nou.
Jonathan dos Santos, who is the younger brother of former Barcelona forward …